Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Karina's Krumble

This year one of the things that I have to give thanks for is Karina. For those of you who don' t know Karina is the Gluten Free Goddess, whose recipes and wisdom I worship on a daily basis.

I have been living Gluten Free (GF) for a while - maybe 15 years or so - that means that I don't eat anything with Wheat, Rye or Barley in it (added oats back into my diet and that seems to be ok). I recently visited a naturopath to see if there was anything I could do to relieve my sinus pain and seemingly chronic skin rashes. I had some blood tests and while it showed that I have the cholesterol of a 20 year old track star - thank you McDonald's for not making a Gluten Free hamburger - it also showed that I have some other food issues. Now, in addition to the GF living, I live egg, dairy, cane sugar, tomato, zucchini, bell pepper, almond, sesame, blueberry, pineapple and banana free - that wasn't quite the list I was hoping for. Anyway, Karina has an even longer list and manages some how to remain a true inspiration when it comes to cooking and life with a 'list'. I would say that no less than 5 days a week are we eating well from one of her recipes. She makes it seem easy and fun and oh so tasty. So, if you're looking to try something different or have someone in your life that has a 'list', try Karina's Kitchen she will no doubt nourish your body and soul - Thank you Karina!

I'm a sucker for a good crumble so I just had to make some this morning.
The recipe is here - I made mine with 1/4 cup agave syrup, 1/3 cup of Lara's certified GF rolled oats and a little bit of vanilla rice milk to make up for brown sugar (cane sugar)
The cranberries are tart so I think that I could have gotten away with a little bit more agave but it's still really yummy.

IMG_1130.JPG

IMG_1131.JPG

IMG_1135.JPG

7 comments:

m said...

Yum! I, too, am a sucker for a good crumble.

So sorry to hear about your list. So many of your foods are staples in my diet. I'm not sure what I'd do!

70% cocoa said...

Hey I blog gluten free too - only oats are off my list so no oaty crumbles for me. I'm on a muffin roll at the moment (although I guess if I continue they might be able to roll me down the hill).

I love your blog, well written, beautiful and quirky. I'm going to etsy now to check out your stuff....
x x x

Karina said...

Kleja! You have officially made me cry. (Sniffle.) Thank you for the lovely shout-out. Your krumble looks fab in that big scalloped pie dish. Beautiful! I'm glad it worked without brown sugar. I'm going to add a link to this recipe on my post for other readers who might be sugarcane-free.

I hope we get to meet one day. :)

xoxo

Karina

Kleja said...

70% - So glad you stopped by - I love your blog too!

Karina, I am so lucky to have found you - I hope our meeting, one day, involves one of your recipes!

ps. cutting out cane sugar is really hard :)

Kleja said...

M - aren't crumbles wonderful? I think that they are so comfy.

jblaydes said...

I wasn't clear on your directions. Is your crumble made only of oats, agave and rice milk? Or did you have flour mix and shortening like Karina's too? Want to make this for Thanksgiving!

Klay said...

Alaskasmiles! So sorry I deleted your comment - it was nice and thank you!